Slow Cooker Chunky Pot Roast-Portobello Soup
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 8:00 h
- Ready In : 8:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 2 ½ pounds (2.4 kg) boneless beef chuck pot roast,fat trimmed and chunked
- 1/4 cup (60 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme,crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion,peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic,peeled and minced
- 3 cups (750 ml) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound (480 g) fresh baby portobello mushrooms,cut into halves
- 3/4 cup (180 g) coarsely chopped red sweet pepper
- fresh Italian parsley,snipped
In a plastic bag,combine all-purpose flour,thyme and black pepper. Mix well. Add meat,a few pieces at a time and shake well to coat.
In a large nonstick skillet 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half of meat and brown for 5 minutes on all sides.
Transfer cooked meat to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining meat and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil,adding onion and garlic for the last 3 minutes of cooking. Transfer beef mixture to slow cooker. Stir in beef broth,wine,tomato paste and salt.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 7-8 hours.
Switch slow cooker to high-heat setting. Stir in mushrooms and sweet pepper. Cover slow cooker and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Ladle chunky pot roast-portobello soup into bowls. Sprinkle with Italian parsley and serve.