The Best Slow Cooker Beef Rendang2023-06-11
- Yield: 4
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 10:00 h
- Ready In: 10:10 h
Average Member Rating
(3.5 / 5)
2 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat37 g
Trans Fat0 g
Unsaturated Fat0 g
The best slow cooker beef rendang. Enjoy intensely flavorful Indonesian-style beef rendang in minutes with our favorite slow cooker recipe. Richly spiced and saucy, this slow cooker beef rendang is sure to please—try it today!
Introduction to Slow Cooker Beef Rendang
Beef rendang is a traditional Indonesian dish that has gained popularity all over the world. It is a flavorful and aromatic dish made with tender beef, coconut milk, and a blend of spices. The slow cooking process allows the meat to absorb all the flavors, resulting in a rich and delicious meal.
This dish is perfect for those who love to cook but don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen. With just a few simple ingredients and a slow cooker, you can create a mouth-watering beef rendang that will impress your family and friends.
Ingredients for Beef Rendang
Slow cooker beef rendang is a flavorful and hearty dish that requires a variety of ingredients to achieve its signature taste. Here are the key ingredients you will need to make this delicious meal:
1. Beef: The star of the dish, beef is typically used in rendang. Choose a cut that is suitable for slow cooking, such as a chuck roast or brisket.
2. Coconut milk: This creamy ingredient provides a rich and smooth texture to the dish. Be sure to use full-fat coconut milk for the best results.
3. Spices: A blend of spices is what gives beef rendang its unique flavor. You will need turmeric, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and lemongrass.
4. Shallots and garlic: These aromatics add depth and complexity to the dish.
5. Tamarind paste (optional): This tangy ingredient balances out the richness of the coconut milk and adds a slight sourness to the dish.
6. Brown sugar: A touch of sweetness helps to balance out the flavors of the dish.
7. Kaffir lime leaves: These fragrant leaves are a common ingredient in Southeast Asian cuisine and add a citrusy aroma to the dish.
8. Salt: To season the dish to your liking.
With these ingredients on hand, you’ll be well on your way to mastering the art of slow-cooking beef rendang.
YOU MAY LIKE AS WELL:
Steps to Make Beef Rendang in a Slow Cooker
To make a delicious beef rendang, follow these simple steps:
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the beef and cook until browned on all sides.
2. While the beef is browning, combine the coconut milk, water, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and salt in the slow cooker.
3. Once the beef is browned, transfer it to the slow cooker and stir to combine with the coconut milk mixture.
4. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened.
5. Once the beef is cooked, remove the lemongrass stalks and discard. Serve the beef rendang over rice and garnish with fresh cilantro and sliced red chili peppers, if desired.
By following these simple steps, you can create a flavorful and tender slow-cooker beef rendang that will impress your family and friends.
Tips for Serving and Storing This Dish
After spending hours slow cooking your beef rendang, it’s important to know how to serve and store it properly. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your dish:
1. Let it rest: Once your beef rendang is done cooking, let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together and make the meat more tender.
2. Serve with rice: Beef rendang is traditionally served with steamed rice. The rice helps to soak up the flavorful sauce and balances out the richness of the dish.
3. Garnish with fresh herbs: Adding a sprinkle of fresh cilantro or chopped scallions on top of your beef rendang can add a pop of color and freshness to the dish.
4. Store in an airtight container: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. You can also freeze the beef rendang for up to three months.
5. Reheat gently: When reheating your beef rendang, do so gently over low heat. This will prevent the meat from becoming tough and ensure that the flavors remain intact.
By following these tips, you can enjoy your slow cooker beef rendang to its fullest potential.
The Best Slow Cooker Beef Rendang
- For the Beef:
- 2 pouds (960 g) beef chuck
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 10 kefir lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-inch (5 cm) ginger, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 lemongrass, the white part, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add beef chuck roast and brown on all sides.
Remove browned meat from the skillet and transfer it to a slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
Close the pot and cook on a low-heat setting for 8-10 hours or until the beef is tender.
Turn off the cooker and open the lid. Discard the cinnamon stick. Remove cooked beef from the slow cooker and transfer to a large bowl. Pour the cooking liquid over the meat. Serve hot.