Pressure Cooker Jamaican Oxtail Stew
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 55m
Average Member Rating
(4.2 / 5)
15people rated this recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds (960 g) beef oxtail pieces
- 1 large yellow onion,peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions,trimmed and sliced
- 2 large carrits,peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced peeeld ginger
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup dried fava beans or dried lima beans
- habanero pepper
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon frwshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
In a pressure cooker,heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Working in a batches,add oxtail pieces and brown on all sides for about 10 minutes per batch. Remove browned oxtail pieces and transfer to a plate.
Add chopped onion to the pot and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, green onions, carrots and ginger and cook, stirring,for a further 2 minutes. Sprinkle with all-purpose flour and cook, stirring,for additional 2 minutes.
Return browned oxtails and any accumulated juices to the pot, nestling them into vegetables. Stir in beef broth, water, habanero pepper, soy sauce, thyme, ground allspice, beans and black pepper. Mix well.
Close pressure cooker and lock the lid. Set burner heat to high pressure. When cooker reaches high pressure,reduce heat to low. Set timer to cook for 45 minutes.
Remove pot form the heat. Open pressure cooker,using Quick Release method. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Simmer stew,uncovered for 10 minutes to get a thick stew consistency. Taste broth for salt and black pepper. Remove and discard thyme and habanero pepper.
Serve oxtail stew over cooked rice in shallow bowls.