Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs2022-09-02
- Yield: 4
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 8:00 h
- Ready In: 8:10 h
Average Member Rating
(3.4 / 5)
5 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat6.5 g
Trans Fat0 g
Unsaturated Fat1.0 g
Slow cooker braised short ribs. Tasty and juicy beef short ribs with dry red wine cooked in a slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs
Slow cooker braised short ribs are a classic comfort food that is perfect for any occasion. This dish is known for its tender, fall-off-the-bone meat that is packed with flavor. The slow cooking process allows the flavors to meld together and create a rich, savory taste that will leave you wanting more.
Whether you’re cooking for a family dinner or a special occasion, slow cooker braised short ribs are sure to impress. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of making this delicious dish step-by-step, so you can enjoy the mouth-watering goodness of perfectly cooked short ribs in no time.
Ingredients Needed for Braised Short Ribs
To make the perfect slow cooker braised short ribs with dry red wine and carrots, you will need a few key ingredients. First, you’ll need about 4 pounds of bone-in beef short ribs. Look for ribs that are well-marbled with fat, as this will help keep them moist and tender during the long cooking process.
Next, you’ll need some aromatics to add flavor to the dish. This includes one large onion, and carrots, all chopped into small pieces. You’ll also need four cloves of garlic, minced.
To give the dish its signature richness and depth of flavor, you’ll need a cup of dry red wine. Choose a bold, full-bodied wine like Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot.
Steps to Prepare Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs
First, season the short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add some oil. Once the oil is hot, sear the short ribs for about 3-4 minutes per side until they are browned.
Next, transfer the short ribs to the slow cooker. In the same skillet, sauté onions, garlic, and carrots until they are softened. Pour in dry red wine and bring it to a simmer.
Pour the mixture into the slow cooker over the short ribs. Add thyme and bay leaves to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
Once done, remove the short ribs from the slow cooker and strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve. Skim off any excess fat and discard the solids. Serve the short ribs with the sauce and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy your delicious fall-off-the-bone goodness!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Braised Short Ribs
To ensure that your slow cooker braised short ribs turn out perfectly every time, here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind:
1. Choose the right cut of meat: Short ribs are tough cuts of meat that require long, slow cooking to become tender and flavorful. Look for bone-in short ribs with plenty of marbling.
2. Brown the meat before slow cooking: While it’s not strictly necessary, browning the short ribs in a hot skillet before adding them to the slow cooker can add extra flavor and texture to the finished dish.
3. Don’t overcook the ribs: While slow cooking is all about low and slow, you don’t want to cook the ribs for too long or they’ll become mushy and fall apart. Aim for 6-8 hours on low heat or 3-4 hours on high heat.
4. Skim off excess fat: As the short ribs cook, they’ll release quite a bit of fat. Use a spoon or ladle to skim off any excess fat from the surface of the cooking liquid to prevent the dish from becoming greasy.
5. Let the ribs rest before serving: Once the short ribs are done cooking, remove them from the slow cooker and let them rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in a more flavorful and tender dish.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to create slow cooker braised short ribs that are fall-off-the-bone delicious every time.
Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs
You may like as well:
- 1 cup (250 ml) dry red wine
- 4 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 pounds (960 g) beef short ribs
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients, placing short ribs on the top.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on a low-heat setting for 7-8 hours.
Serve braised short ribs hot.