Slow Cooker Caribbean Peanut Chicken
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 3:00 h
- Ready In : 3:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts,cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove,peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 yellow onion,peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes,peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 green chili,seeded and sliced
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 3 cups (750 ml) boiling chicken stock
- 10 oz (300 g) easy-cook (converted) white rice
- lime wedges,fresh parsley,to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a mixing bowl,combine 1 tablespoon peanut oil,,garlic,thyme,curry powder and lemon juice. Mix well.
Add chicken strips to curry mixture and stir well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
In a frying pan,heat remaining peanut oil. Add chopped onion and fry,stirring,for 10 minutes until soft. Remove cooked onion from the pan and transfer to slow cooker. Add chopped tomatoes and chili and stir well to combine.
In a mixing bowl,combine peanut butter and chicken stock. Mix well. Pour peanut mixture into slow cooker. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and stir well.
Cover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for 1 hour.
30 minutes before the end of cooking time,remove marinated chicken strips from refrigerator. Leave it to come to room temperature.
Add chicken strips and marinade to slow cooker and stir well. Recover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for a further 1 hour.
Sprinkle rice over chicken mixture and stir well. Cover slow cooker and cook on high0heat setting for final 45 minutes-1 hour or until chicken and rice are tender.
Remove cooked chicken and rice from slow cooker. Garnish with lime wedges and fresh parsley. Serve immediately.