Slow Cooker Chicken with Red Wine and Mushrooms
- Yield: 4
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 9:00 h
- Ready In: 9:15 h
Average Member Rating
(4.5 / 5)
2 People rated this recipe
Slow cooker chicken with red wine and mushrooms. Chicken pieces with mushrooms and red wine cooked in a slow cooker.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil,divided
- roasting chicken,skinned and cut into pieces
- 1½ cups thickly sliced mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion,peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled and minced
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- 6 oz (180 g) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (250 ml) dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
Preheat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet until hot. Cook half of chicken pieces on each side 3-5 minutes,until browned. Using a slotted spoon,remove cooked chicken and set aside.
Using the same method,cook remaining chicken. Heat remaining olive oil in large skillet. Add mushrooms,onions, garlic and cook,stirring until onions are soft.
Transfer mushroom mixture to slow cooker.Top with cooked chicken. In mixing bowl,combine chicken broth,tomato paste,red wine,sugar,oregano and seasoning. Mix well and pour mixture over chicken.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting up to 9 hours. .Stir in basil and serve immediately.