Slow Cooker Red Velvet Cake
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 3:00 h
- Ready In : 3:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg,beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 oz (30 ml) bottle red food color
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) low-fat buttermilk
- 1 ½ teaspoons white distilled vinegar
- Buttercream Frosting (see recipe below)
- Buttercream Frosting:
- 2 ½ cups powdered (caster) sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
In large mixing bowl,beat sugar and shortening until well blended. Add egg and vanilla and blend well. Add food color and cocoa.Beat until well blended
Stir in combined flour,soda and salt alternately with combined buttermilk and vinegar,starting and ending with dry ingredients. Pour batter into greased and floured 1-ouart dish. Place on rack in slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high heat setting for 2-2½ hours.
Remove slow cooker red velvet cake to wire rack and cool 10 minutes. Invert onto rack and cool. Frost slow cooker red velvet cake with Buttercream Frosting.
Buttercream Frosting: In mixing bowl,combine all ingredients. Mix to make spreading consistency.