Slow Cooker Thai-Style Chicken Pumpkin Soup
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 8:00 h
- Ready In : 8:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 boneless and skinless chicken breasts,cubed
- 1 large white onion,peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic,peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 stalks celery,trimmed and diced
- 2 carrots,peeled,trimmed and diced
- 15 oz (450 ml) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) mango nectar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups (1 L) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 g) minced fresh cilantro,divided
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy (double) cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups (500 g) hot cooked rice
- 3 green onions,minced
- 1/2 cup 9125 g) roasted unsalted peanuts,coarsely chopped
- lime wedges
In a large nonstick skillet,heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add cubed chicken and cook,stirring occasionally,for about 3 minutes. Add onion,garlic,ginger and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook,stirring,for a further 1-2 minutes or until mixture is fragrant.
Transfer cooked chicken mixture to slow cooker. Add celery,carrots,pumpkin,mango nectar,lime juice,peanut butter,chicken broth and 2 cups (500 ml) water. Stir well. Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours.
Stir in rice vinegar and 1/4 cup (60 g) minced cilantro. In a small mixing bowl,combine heavy (double) cream and cornstarch. Mix well and stir creamy mixture into soup. Switch heat to high and simmer,uncovered<10 minutes or until soup thickens.
To serve,put hot cooked rice in soup bowls. Ladle chicken pumpkin soup around the rice. Sprinkle with remaining minced cilantro,green onions and peanuts. Garnish with lime wedges.