Slow Cooker Bangers and Mash2022-11-11
- Cuisine: English
- Course: Main Dish
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Add to favorites
- Yield: 5
- Servings: 5
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 6:00 h
- Ready In: 6:10 h
Average Member Rating
(4.5 / 5)
2 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat3.0 g
Trans Fat10.3 g
Unsaturated Fat1.5 g
Slow cooker bangers and mash. This hearty dish is perfect for cold winter days, but it’s a family favorite any time of year.
What is Bangers and Mash, and Why is it Called that?
Bangers and Mash is a traditional British dish that consists of sausages, mashed potatoes, and gravy.
The name of the dish is derived from the term “bangers” which is a slang term for sausages. It was first used in World War II to describe the practice of using explosives to kill animals. The term was then used in reference to sausages being cooked in water or other liquid, which causes them to make a popping sound like an explosion.
Different Variations You Can Make With Bangers & Mash
This is a traditional English dish that is usually served with mashed potatoes. It can be made in many ways, but the most popular versions are the following:
1) The slow cooker banger and mash recipe: In this recipe, you cook the sausages in a slow cooker until they are fully cooked, and then add them to your mashed potatoes, before adding some gravy.
2) The beef & onion chili con carne recipe with rice: This is an American version of Bangers & Mash which includes chili con carne with rice. You will need to cook the onions and beef together for a while before adding some chili powder and cooking it for another 10 minutes.
3) The sausage soup: This is a variation of the classic bangers and mash that includes sausage soup instead of mashed potatoes. You will need to fry up your sausages first before adding some vegetables, stock, lentils, and seasoning..
Slow Cooker Bangers and Mash
You may like as well:
Slow Cooker Creamy Corn Recipe
Slow Cooker Balsamic Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Slow Cooker Vegetable Tajine Recipe
Slow Cooker Salmon Loaf with Cucumber Dill Sauce Recipe
- 16 bangers sausages
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- To Make a Garvy:
- 2 cups (500 ml) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour+ 2 tablespoons water
In a slow cooker, combine onions and sausages. In a small mixing bowl, combine all the gravy ingredients, except the flour and water. Stir well and pour the gravy over the sausages and onions.
Cover the pot and cook on a low-heat setting for 4-6 hours.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour and water. Stir well. Pour the slurry into the cooker and stir to combine. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes on a high-heat setting, or until the gravy is thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes.
posted by Barbara Whitt on May 29, 2023
Thank you Slava Bondarev for posting this recipe. While I take issue with the way “bangers” received their name, I plan to prepare your recipe as an English entree for a condominium international night pool party.
posted by Slava Bond on May 29, 2023
You are welcome, Barbara. Enjoy it!