Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 4:00 h
- Ready In : 4:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 3 teaspoons freshly ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons freshly ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions,peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled and crushed
- 14 oz (420 ml) can coconut milk
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium yams,peeled and cubed into 1½ inch (3 cm) cubes
- 2 teaspoons Garam marsala
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
In a small mixing bowl,combine all dry ingredients.Stir well. Add enough water (4 teaspoons) to form a paste. Set aside.
In a small pan,heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced onions and sugar, sautee ,stirring constantly, until lightly golden, for about 10 minutes. add crushed garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in spice mixture and cook for additional 2 minutes,until toasted.
In a blender,combine onion-spice mixture and coconut milk. Blend until onion pureed. Transfer mixture to slow cooker. Add chicken thighs and sweet potatoes and toss well to coat.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 3-4 hours.
Just before serving,stir in garam masala, lemon juice and ground almonds. Serve with cooked rice.