Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
- Servings : 6-8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 5:00 h
- Ready In : 5:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning,crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground back pepper
- 1 pound (480 g) skinless and boneless chicken breasts,cut into halves
- 3 cups (750 g) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large yellow onion,peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled and minced
- 14 ½ oz (435 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cups (370 g) green and red bell pepper strips
- 1 medium zucchini,sliced
- 1/3 cup (80g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 cup (125 g) shredded provolone cheese
- Italian flat bread,cut into halves horizontally
In a small mixing bowl,combine Italian seasoning,salt and black pepper.Stir well. Sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of chicken and rub in with your fingers.
In slow cooker,combine rubbed chicken,mushrooms,onion and garlic.Mix well. Pour tomatoes and vinegar over chicken mixture.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 4-5 hours. Turn to high-heat setting. Add bell peppers and zucchini. Cover slow cooker and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Meanwhile,in a small mixing bowl,combine mayonnaise and pesto.Mix well. Spread evenly over cut sides of bread.
Remove cooked chicken from slow cooker. Arrange chicken half on bottom half of bun. Using a slotted spoon,spoon vegetable mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with shredded provolone cheese. Top with half of bun and serve.