Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
- Yield: 6
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 5:00 h
- Ready In: 5:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat4.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat2.9 g
Slow cooker pesto chicken sandwiches. Chicken with vegetables and greens cooked in a slow cooker and served as sandwiches.
It’s the one recipe that cures all of life’s problems, especially when things are busy. The slow cooker is the only way to make a succulent sandwich you can make ahead of time.
Very easy and delicious recipe. I recommend using Homemade Basil Pesto, to make this recipe.
What is the best way to keep your sandwich from getting soggy?
There are always a lot of different opinions when it comes to what is the best way to keep your sandwich from getting soggy. Some people say that you should put a napkin in between the bread and the filling, while others say that you should wrap it in a paper towel before storing it in an airtight container. The truth is, there is no one technique that will work for every person. The best way to keep your sandwich from getting soggy depends on which type of bread you use and how much moisture is in the air where you store it.
We should never put our sandwiches in plastic bags because they trap too much moisture and make them soggy very quickly. Instead, we should store them in an airtight container with a napkin or a paper towel.
How can I make my sandwich healthier?
A healthy sandwich is one that is packed with nutritious ingredients—no matter how you slice it. Here are some tips on how to make your favorite sandwich better for you.
1. Choose whole-wheat bread over white bread to get more fiber, which can help keep cholesterol levels in check.
2. Add vegetables like cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, or spinach for extra nutrients and fiber, or choose low-fat mayonnaise or hummus instead of full-fat mayonnaise to cut calories.
3. Use a slice of lean meat like turkey breast and only one slice of cheese for a lower calorie option than full-fat meats and cheeses.
What are some different types of bread to put on pesto chicken sandwiches?
There are many different types of bread that can be used to put on pesto chicken sandwiches.
Some examples of bread would be croissants, ciabatta rolls, focaccia bread, and baguettes.
Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
You may like as well:
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning,crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground back pepper
- 1 pound (480 g) skinless and boneless chicken breasts,cut into halves
- 3 cups (750 g) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 14 ½ oz (435 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cups (370 g) green and red bell pepper strips
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/3 cup (80g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 cup (125 g) shredded provolone cheese
- Italian flat bread, cut into halves horizontally
In a small mixing bowl, combine Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Stir well. Sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of chicken and rub in with your fingers.
In slow cooker, combine rubbed chicken, mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Mix well. Pour tomatoes and vinegar over chicken mixture.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on a low-heat setting for 4-5 hours. Turn it to high-heat setting. Add bell peppers and zucchini. Cover the pot and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise and pesto. Mix well. Spread evenly over cut sides of bread.
Remove cooked chicken from slow cooker. Arrange chicken half on bottom half of bun. Using a slotted spoon, spoon vegetable mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with shredded provolone cheese. Top with half of bun and serve.