Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- Yield: 4 soup bowls
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 4:00 h
- Ready In: 4:15 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
- 4 garlic cloves,peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds (960 g0 tomatillos,husks removed
- 2 poblano chilies,stemmed and seeded
- 1 medium yellow onion,peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup (125 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- freshly squeezed juice of half lime
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock
- 1 ½ pounds (720-750 g) chicken thighs
Preheat a broiler.
In a large mixing bowl,combine minced garlic,oil,tomatillos,chilies and onion. Toss well to coat.
Spread tomatillo mixture onto an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated broiler for 10 minutes or until there are blackened spots on tomatillos and chilies. Remove from the heat,set aside and allow to cool.
Place cooled tomatillo mixture in a blander. Add remaining ingredients,except chicken thighs. Blend until smooth.
Place chicken thighs in 4-6 quart (4-6 L) slow cooker. Pour verde salsa over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours or until chicken thighs are tender.